Thursday, November 20, 2008

Using Your Emotion


Bali, 2008 / Rony Zakaria

A lot of people said being professional is doing what you do best in any kind of mood, either sorrow, happy or being homesick. If you're a professional you have to put aside for a while your 'petty' emotion and give your full attention to your work. In other words, shutting off your emotion, not mixing it with your work. They said it's something you have to do to get things done.

Sometimes I had to be professional, being single minded, focused with the work I had to deliver, blocking everything else including my feelings. But also in many occasion I did the complete opposite, letting my emotion played part in the process of my pictures. And to be honest, most of the time, if not always, it just amazed me, many pictures just appeared in a way I wouldn't have thinked of before. Pictures that I look and I feel connected with them, "my own" pictures.

And although being professional is a good thing and something I have to keep in mind, the latter approach always gave me a total excitement and somekind of a weird uncertainty, which is fun, something that can give you a thrill. And fortunately I never got disappointed with my results.

To describe it more, it's just like you're taking a risk or to gamble but you know that you're going to get something out of it, you won't end up with nothing or lose everything. You just don't know what it is you're getting. I don't concider that mysterious uncertainty a risk, I'm feeling it as a breathtaking and magical process!

Just like Henri said "To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart". It's not just the craft perhaps, it is more.. Maybe you have to feel more.. and more..

What about you? What do you feel?

2 comments:

dinda said...

go ronce!

you're right. i like to call it passion. it IS important.

so shall we meet this coming saturday? *ih, kayak kencan aja deh, hihihi!*

Rony Zakaria said...

@dinda

of course Dinda,we shall meet :D

looking forward to saturday!